Thursday, October 16, 2008

Canning


I think I did something extraordinary yesterday. Wait, no, it was pretty extraordinary. I will admit it! I made and canned applesause. Mom, I hope you haven't fainted yet...but I must say that is was awesome! Me and my sweet friend Annie spent the morning together doing what domestic goddesses do. We cut apples from her apple tree, (she had a HUGE basket of apples that were beautiful) boiled them so they were soft, and put them through her victoria strainer. It turns the soft apples into sauce and then spits out the seeds, hard parts, etc. out another spout. It was genius!! The kids loved to mash the apples down into the strainer and see all the "goo" come out. It was great! I came away with 3 lovely mason jars full of deliciously pink applesause that my kids have loved already.
So I was thinking yesterday while it was quiet in the house (Molly and Spence at school, Brigg asleep---ahhhhh) that I would love to have a big farm house, the sun shining through the windows to my kitchen with rows and rows of canning jars full of homemade goodness for my family. I would of course let them sit out a few days so I could relish in my accomplishment and the beauty of it all before I would store them downstairs in my storage room (meticulously organized) to await consumption. Was I delirious? Maybe one day this "vision" will come true.
Right now, I will cherish my 3 jars of applesause.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Ohhh. very impressed. I keep feeling like I should do something like that with all the harvest and everything. Unfortunately I have NO idea where to start:)

take pictures, and don't let anyone forget how domesticated you are:)

BL said...

I share in your vision! that sounds delightful!

erin said...

Remember "Baby Boom" with Diane Keaton? I can totally see you in your farmhouse canning applesauce! Kudos on a your 3 jars!! That's 3 more than I have. =)

Heidi said...

Good job, Aleisha! I understand the feeling of accomplishment. It's amazing how the little things in life make us so happy!